Quality one-on-one time is always a great way to reconnect, make memories, and show love to someone. It’s also important for strengthening relationships, maintaining openness, and reminding another person of how important he or she is to you. Mother-daughter dates do all of those things, whether they’re with your daughter(s) or with your own mom or grandmother! Just like a date with your spouse, a date with your daughter is refreshing for what can sometimes be a monotonous, emotional, or up and down relationship depending on your life stage. Here are some easy ideas for making mother-daughter dates something everyone looks forward to!
1. Make it easy – One of our contributors with high school aged daughters said she considers any one-on-one activity a date. As kids get busier with sports, friends, school, and other extracurricular activities, you’re just not together as much as you used to be. Shopping for school shoes, picking up ClickList, running errands? Ask your daughter to come along! With my (at the time) toddler after her baby sister was born, a trip alone with me to Target made her day. (Pictured above! See that smile?!) The same applies with your own mom – grocery shop or check out a consignment sale together!
2. Find an activity related to something they love – Wichita has so much to offer in this area. Music theater, the ballet, princess themed events, concerts and sporting events, themed story times and character appearances – the list goes on and on. With your mom or grandma, try a new restaurant with their favorite kind of food, check out a museum, concert, or show, go antiquing – care about what they enjoy and spend time doing it together!
3. Pamper yourselves – What girl doesn’t enjoy relaxing and being pampered? There are several salons around town that offer special prices – and chairs even – for manicures or pedicures for your little girl. And one of my favorite things to do with my mom is to grab coffee or a Sonic drink and get our nails done together! If that’s not in the budget, have a spa night or paint your nails together at home!
4. Make or learn something together – Whether it’s painting a piece of pottery, having a girls night at one of the painting studios, or doing some sort of craft or class, this one is fun for any age! You can stick with something your daughter (or mom!) enjoys or try something new together – a calligraphy workshop, a sewing class, a dance class, scrapbooking, cooking classes…the options are endless. Check local craft stores, Wichita Parks and Recreation, MakeICT, Love of Character, and Wichita Art Museum for upcoming events and classes!
5. Explore Wichita together – Check out a park you don’t usually go to, grab lunch/dinner/dessert at a new local place, visit the farmer’s market, or explore on one of our bike paths or nature trails. Wichita Moms Blog posts a monthly calendar of events making it easy to find out what’s going on around town. There are all kinds of monthly and annual events that would make fun mother-daughter dates: Final Friday Art Crawl, RiverFest, Ballet in the Park, and so many more.
Planning a mother-daughter date doesn’t have to be anything elaborate. Like I mentioned earlier, a trip to Target alone with mom after a new baby was brought into the picture was just what my daughter needed to feel loved and to be reminded of how important she is to me. It never hurts to be intentional about spending one-on-one time together, though, particularly with the people you love most!
As mothers, we get the privilege of being our daughters’ first role model and friend – nurturing that relationship as it evolves and changes through the years is so important, and I truly think making mother-daughter dates a tradition helps do that.
Make sure you never miss out: subscribe to our weekly Wichita Moms Blog newsletter! Be the first to know about our exclusive events, special offers and discounts, neighborhood group activities and, of course, local resources
and parenting voices powered by local Wichita moms!