As I scroll through my social media feed, it never fails that I will see one or more of my girl friends enjoying a fun weekend with friends. Sometimes, I’m a bit jealous. Who wouldn’t love a few days without kids and husbands?! All the laughing and adventures that only girls can have together sure does sound like something I’d enjoy.
However, I’ve never been on a girls trip. I’ve been asked several times, but my schedule never seems to coincide with the trip being planned. I guess with 4 kids, a husband who works odd hours and my “guilty mom” complex not letting me ask for baby-sitting help, I’ve just never felt the need to go.
Now that I’m in my 40s and my kids are older, I still don’t think I would go. It has nothing to do with the kid’s schedule or the “guilty mom” complex I still have. It has to do with my husband. Pure and simple. And before you think “he must keep her from her friends,” let me assure you, there is nothing further from the truth.
The truth is, I’d rather spend a weekend get-a-way with my husband!
Before you roll your eyes and quit reading, let me explain why.
- My husband truly is my Best Friend: As in, “nothing seems real until I tell him.” He’s the first person I want to tell something funny to. He’s the first person I want to ask for an opinion. He’s the one I trust with things that no one else needs to know. He’s the one that can make things seem okay, even when I think things aren’t.
- I trust his opinion when shopping: This may sound odd, but I’d rather shop with my husband than anyone else! Why? Because he will honestly tell me if something doesn’t look right on me. He’s not rude. He’s just honest. And let’s be honest with ourselves, ladies. We dress for us but we also dress for our husbands. Even though we are married, we are still “dating” our husbands. Right?!
- He Makes me laugh: Even when he’s not trying to, he makes me laugh! It’s my favorite quality about him. He’s painfully sarcastic and for my sarcastic nature, that is music to my ears. After 17 years, we still laugh together every day. And when it’s just the two of us, we seem to still find things that are new to us that we laugh about.
- We Talk about Everything: There isn’t one thing we don’t talk about. Politics. Religion. Food. Work. Kids. People we see walking by. Everything! You always hear about those couples who have kids and when they are alone, they can only seem to talk about the kids and nothing else. Well, that is NOT us! We do talk about our kids (hard not to) but we have so much more to talk about. It’s never ending….and I love it!
- I can let my guard down around him: No matter what I’m feeling, I have always been able to just be “me” with him. No makeup? Great! No fancy clothes? Perfect! Not sucking my gut in while in a swim suit? He doesn’t notice! I don’t have to feel like I’m someone I’m not. I don’t have to pretend to know all the answers. I can be my raw, uncensored self.
Is this pathetic? Maybe to some. Is it odd? Possible. But I wouldn’t live my life any other way…
Make sure you never miss out: subscribe to our weekly Wichita Moms Blog newsletter! Be the first to know about our exclusive events, special offers and discounts, neighborhood group activities and, of course, local resources
and parenting voices powered by local Wichita moms!