Think healthy eating is too expensive or not for you? Don’t think it can be done on a budget? Well it can! You can be the key to helping your family eat healthier with simple tricks and strategies.
In support of National Nutrition Month in March the Greater Wichita YMCA and K-State Research and Extension, Sedgwick County are on a mission to empower parents to plan for, shop, cook, and eat healthier meals on a budget through the FREE Cooking Matters for Parents program.
The Cooking Matters for Parents program is a free, 6-week class that meets once a week (for 2 hours) and includes free take-home groceries to try a new recipe from class at home with your family!
What happens in a class?
Each week the class meets to discuss important nutrition concepts and do hands-on cooking! Classes are taught by a registered dietitian or trained nutrition assistant from the Extension Office. Weekly topics range from ‘just what is healthy eating anyway’ and what does it include to dealing with picky eating, getting the best bang for your nutrition buck, kitchen tricks, tips, and shortcuts, meal planning and includes a grocery store tour to find healthy bargains.
This is a fun and interactive program for frugal shopping and simple cooking!
How do I register for one of these free classes?
Are you interested in learning how to shop, prepare healthy meals and, receive free groceries? Sign up for our free Cooking Matters classes for parents. Participants must be parents or primary caregivers of children from lower-income households. Pre-registration is required as space is limited. Contact Tammi Krier at 316-264-4066 ext.5540 or [email protected] for questions, other dates, times or locations, or to register.
· Wednesdays, 1:45-3:45 p.m. at the Urban League of Kansas, 2418 E. 9th St, Wichita, Feb 15- Mar. 2
· Thursdays, 6:00-8:00 p.m. at Tabernacle Bible Church, 1817 N. Volutsia, Feb 28-April 11 (skips Mar. 21)
· Tuesdays, 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Maize at the Maize Early Childhood Learning Center, 535 S. James St., Maize, Feb. 28 – April 11 (skips Mar. 21)
· Wednesdays, 6-8 p.m. in Haysville at the Haysville Learning Center, 150 Stewart Ave, Haysville, March 1 – April 12 (skips Mar. 22)
· Mondays, 6-8 p.m. Downtown YMCA, 402 N. Market St, Mar. 6 – Apr. 17 (skips Mar. 19)
Tammi Krier is a registered, licensed dietitian and the Healthy Eating Director at the Greater Wichita YMCA. Tammi is a mom of two little girls, been married for 5 years now, and knows just how challenging (yet rewarding and doable!) it can be to get little ones (and adults too) to love healthier foods.