We are getting back into the swing of things with school, but for those with little ones, there is still lots of fun during the day! Moms of big kids, evenings and weekends have plenty of things for you too. Plus, everything you need to know about the Kansas State Fair, happening Sept 8-17, can be found here!
September 2017 Events in Wichita
Sept 4: Raise money for a good cause and get your sweat on as a family at the Kidzcope Good Grief 5k.
Sept 5: Design your own hat at Wichita Art Museum’s Art Start for Families.
Sept 5: Your little ones will enjoy a morning of stories and puppies at the Kansas Humane Society.
Sept 6: Check out great eats and free books at the ICT Pop Up Park.
Sept 7: Get a jump start on organizing and de-cluttering with a great workshop at the library.
Sept 7-10: Ballet Wichita’s The Wizard of Oz is making the rounds to various parks.
Sept 8: Grab the girls and head to Blue Baboon Books for a fun evening of wine and crafts.
Sept 8-17: Head out to Hutchinson with the family to enjoy the Kansas State Fair.
Sept 9: The Orpheum invites science minded folks to Science Friday Live, partnering with KMUW.
Sept 14: Bring a lawn chair or blanket to Botanica and enjoy a family folk concert.
Sept 14: If you’ve wanted to participate in ICT Rocks, come learn about the movement and paint some rocks!
Sept 15: Middle schoolers looking for something fun? The Tween Color Party is just the thing!
Sept 16: Your train-obsessed kids will love the second annual Kansas Railfest.
Sept 16: The library is showing the movie The Lorax with a related craft. We “mustache” you to attend!
Sept 18: Enjoy some time on all the amazing play equipment at Backyard Specialist’s Fall Family Night.
Sept 23: Drive the family out to El Dorado to celebrate Oktoberfest.
Sept 24: Light the night with your dreams, hope and wishes at the Lantern Fest.
Sept 24: Celebrate Hispanic culture at Exploration Place during Fiesta Hispana.
Sept 30: If the acting bug has bitten your child, the library has a fun intro to acting class just for them.
Neighborhood Group Meet-Ups
Wichita Neighborhood Mom Groups are having all kids of activities in your neighborhood and connecting online to share recommendations and advice. Click here to join your Neighborhood Group, and see below for what’s going on near you this month.
East Wichita/Andover Group: Picnic and Play at the Park – Sept. 22
Central Wichita/Downtown Group: Get the wiggles out at Jumpy Jump Land – Sept 21
West Wichita/Goddard/Maize Group: Double the fun this month! Mommy and Me Jazzercise – Sept 16 and Park Playdate – Sept 23
Regularly Scheduled Programming:
Many local places have recurring events that are great for moms and families, and you can find them here:
- Aviate has Junior Jump Monday through Friday for the younger crowd.
- Botanica has a Sunny Days Storytime every Thursday morning.
- Sensory Friendly play at Exploration Place on the second Sunday of every month
- Urban Air has Jumparoo Toddler Jump every Tuesday and Friday.
- Family Night at Museum of World Treasures is the first Thursday of the month.
- Make ICT has free access to their makerspace every other Monday.
- Kansas Children’s Service League has a support group for Parents of Special Needs Children on the third Monday of every month.
- Moxi Junction hosts story and craft time every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10:30am.
- Local libraries have story times most every day: check out our Guide to Wichita Story Times.