The weather is (finally!) cooling off and we are all back in our school-time routine. There are so many fun things to do around town this month, both fall/Halloween-themed and otherwise. For a comprehensive guide to all things fall in Wichita, for the little ghouls and big ghouls alike, check out our Ultimate Guide to Fall and Halloween in Wichita.
October 2017 Events in Wichita
Oct 1: Get a head start on your holiday shopping at the Halloween Sip and Shop.
Oct 2-8: Celebrate International Babywearing Week by meeting new friends at events throughout the week.
Oct 2: Fear is the topic of this month’s Creature Feature.
Oct 6: Dads – it’s your turn! Grab your girl for the Father Daughter Dance at Cox Farm.
Oct 6: Help the Wesley Children’s Foundation raise money at Wine Women Shoes ICT.
Oct 7: Food is a time-honored family tradition. Learn more about other traditions at Food Traditions.
Oct 7: BOOtanica has a little something for everyone!
Oct 7: Newton is celebrating Blues, Brews and Barbecue with a concert, food trucks, and craft beer.
Oct 13: If mom and dad need a little time to themselves, take the kids to Furry Film Friday at the Humane Society.
Oct 14: Your horse-mad kids will love the chance to Saddle Up and Ride in the park!
Oct 15: Kansas is a great state for kite-flying – try out something new today.
Oct 15: If you have lost a baby, join other women in similar situations in remembrance at Wichita Wave of Light 2017.
Oct 17: If you missed the Lego Batman movie in the theater, join friends at the library for a viewing.
Oct 19: If you have a child with a sensory processing disorder, Theraplay Spot has a free class for you.
Oct 21: Get Fit Wichita, while getting your groove on with some dance fitness at Botanica.
Oct 26: Mummies, it’s your time to shine at WMB’s premier fall event – Mummies’ Night Out (Sold Out).
Oct 28: Your artistic elementary schoolers will love the opportunity to make art for the library.
Oct 29: Get your princesses to the Princess Masquerade Party, with storytime, crafts, and a fashion show.
Neighborhood Group Meet-Ups
Wichita Neighborhood Mom Groups are having all kids of activities in your neighborhood and connecting online to share recommendations and advice. Click here to join your Neighborhood Group, and see below for what’s going on near you this month.
Derby/South Wichita Group: Join us for a moms’ night out on October 12.
Regularly Scheduled Programming:
Many local places have recurring events that are great for moms and families, and you can find them here:
- Aviate has Junior Jump Monday through Friday for the younger crowd.
- Botanica has a Sunny Days Storytime every Thursday morning.
- Sensory Friendly play at Exploration Place on the second Sunday of every month
- Urban Air has Jumparoo Toddler Jump every Tuesday and Friday.
- Family Night at Museum of World Treasures is the first Thursday of the month.
- Make ICT has free access to their makerspace every other Monday.
- Celebrate Science Friday at Blue Baboon Books with a craft and non-fiction story.
- Kansas Children’s Service League has a support group for Parents of Special Needs Children on the third Monday of every month.
- Moxi Junction hosts story and craft time every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10:30am.
- Local libraries have story times most every day: check out our Guide to Wichita Story Times.