If you haven’t started back-to-school shopping yet (me!), it is time! Summer is drawing to an end, but there are still tons of family events in and around Wichita to enjoy! Here is a great list of things to do with (and without!) the kids, while we all eagerly anticipate the solar eclipse at the end of the month.
August 2017 Events in Wichita
Aug 1-9: Baseball lovers rejoice: the NBC World Series is at Lawrence Dumont Stadium.
Aug 1: Bel Aire residents (and others!) love National Night Out at the fire station.
Aug 1: If back-to-school has you stressed, head to the art museum for Tai Chi on the lawn.
Aug 4: The City of El Dorado is hosting a pool party at night to say Good Morning, Peyton!
Aug 5-9: If you’ve always wanted to see Newsies, on stage, you can see a filmed musical version at the Warren.
Aug 5: Moana will be at All-Star Sports to have breakfast with the kids.
Aug 5: The zoo invites everyone to their annual back-to-school bash with discounted admission.
Aug 5: The family that games together, stays together, at the Sedgwick County Extension Center.
Aug 6: Your princes and princesses are invited to join Cinderella at a Grand Gala!
Aug 8: Celebrate Neighborhood Night Out with ice cream, flags, and pygmy goats!
Aug 8: New and expecting moms will enjoy the Wichita Baby Gala.
Aug 9: The 6 and under crowd will love roller skating with the trolls.
Aug 10: Learn to fight like a girl at a Fearless Moms self-defense class. This WMB event is sold out.
Aug 10: Join other preschoolers for a pajama jam story time.
Aug 11-12: The sci-fi and fantasy fans unite at ICT Comic-Con.
Aug 11-20: If you loved Newsies as a child, introduce the entire family to the show on stage!
Aug 17: Barry’s Recreation Station is setting up for fun at Central Riverside Park.
Aug 19: Get your grub and groove on at the annual urban music festival.
Aug 20: Now that school is in session, all moms will need a breather, and yoga in the park is a good option.
Aug 21: One way to celebrate the solar eclipse is Lunch with Luna at Great Plains Nature Center.
Aug 21: Exploration Place is also hosting a fun eclipse viewing party.
Aug 26: There will be something for everyone at the Farms, Forks and 4-H Festival.
Neighborhood Group Meet-Ups
Wichita Neighborhood Mom Groups are having all kids of activities in your neighborhood and connecting online to share recommendations and advice. Click here to join your Neighborhood Group, and see below for what’s going on near you this month.
ALL Neighborhood Groups: Meet up at the zoo for fun in the sun with friends! August 19. Details are in the event posted in each group. Join one to learn more!
Regularly Scheduled Programming:
Many local places have recurring events that are great for moms and families, and you can find them here:
- Aviate has Junior Jump Monday through Friday for the younger crowd.
- Botanica has a Sunny Days Storytime every Thursday morning.
- Sensory Friendly play at Exploration Place on the second Sunday of every month
- Urban Air has Jumparoo Toddler Jump every Thursday and Friday.
- Family Night at Museum of World Treasures is the first Thursday of the month.
- Make ICT has free access to their makerspace every other Monday.
- Kansas Children’s Service League has a support group for Parents of Special Needs Children on the third Monday of every month.
- Moxi Junction hosts story and craft time every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10:30am.
- Local libraries have story times most every day: check out our Guide to Wichita Story Times.