Valentine’s Day seems to evoke lots of emotions. Some people love having an excuse to do something special for their loved ones and others hate the commercialism of it. Motherhood has definitely changed how my husband and I celebrate Valentine’s Day! I’m a practical gal and fully admit that I’m not a romantic at heart. My practicality definitely filters my Valentine’s wishlist! My husband always spoils me with flowers and dinner, but I’ve come up with a few things that I might like to suggest this year!
My top 5 things I want as a mom for Valentine’s Day:
1. I’d love Alone Time! I mean, literally time by myself. In my house. With no little helpers. (Or big helpers for that matter.) A few years ago, my in-laws took my children overnight over Valentine’s weekend. You might think my husband and I got all dressed up and went out on the town! You would be wrong. I rented a rug doctor while the hubs was at work and we ordered take-out and watched a Redbox movie. I was thrilled because I was able to get some things done without interruptions, and my hubby was happy that I was happy. I’m not suggesting all the guys go out and get a Rug Doctor and surprise their girls with the vacuum and a gallon of rug cleaner, but maybe a few hours at home alone might be just the thing!
2. A Target or Barnes and Noble date….by myself! Slowly walking through the aisles of either of these two spots would help me reconnect with myself. I’m not exaggerating. Places that used to be entertainment before kids, have lost their allure at the thought of bringing kiddos into a quiet book store or super store. Having the time to flip through titles or daydream about redecorating a room in my house might make me feel a little more like the woman my hubby fell in love with! Having a gift card to spend would be the icing on the cake! (Hint, hint!)
3. It might sound cliche, but dinner that I don’t have to cook sounds pretty perfect! Making decisions all day long, wears this mama out! I’d love it if my hubby wanted to plan, execute and clean up without any input from me! When Valentine’s Day falls on a work/school night, it just isn’t possible to go out, so I love the thought that my hubby would include our boys in the planning and cooking!
4. I’d love to sleep in (or at least stay in bed) while my husband takes my boys out for a donut date on a Saturday! They have good father-son bonding over sugar, and I get the luxury of staying in my bed for a little longer than usual.
5. A month’s worth of laundry service or homemade meals would make some of the necessary, but stressful parts of being a mom a little less complicated! It also would free up a little time during the week! I can’t think of too many things that would make me weak in the knees but not having to cook or do laundry might do the trick!
My husband knows that I don’t want to be lavished with extravagant gifts as a show of his love, rather, he knows that he can give me what I really want most of all–and that’s an opportunity to be fully myself–and that I will know that I am forever his Valentine.