Thank you to Wichita State University Community Education for sponsoring our Summer Bucket List and for providing classes we stand behind and are excited to bring to this community of moms. things to do in wichita
There are so many things to do in Wichita this summer, and we can hardly WAIT to get started on our bucket list items! First on our list is to learn something new this summer with our partners at Wichita State University. Introduce your child to a new language with Spanish for Kids, or have them develop their chess playing skills with a class for beginners or advanced players. If you’re looking for a fun activity to do together they also offer a hair braiding class that would be perfect for a budding babysitter or your little one with long hair, and a Fun with Balloons class where you and your child can learn the art of balloon twisting! Classes meet once a week for 2-6 weeks, and you can register online.
This year’s bucket list offers 100 ideas of things to do this summer for every budget, interest, and age. Think you’ve done it all in Wichita, think again! (Please note to check each event/business website for the most up to date information.)
- Take a community education class with a friend or your kiddos at Wichita State University.
- Support our community with local artisans and activities at the new District Marketplace.
- Take one of these suggested family-friendly day trips from Wichita.
- Go treasure hunting by shopping for vintage decor at one of Wichita’s quaint markets or stores.
- Take a walk on the WSU campus and visit the Ulrich Museum of Art (which is completely FREE to the public).
- Shop local, save money, and dive into our community at Second Saturdays.
- Enjoy a cool Sasparilla and become a time traveler at Old Cow Town Museum.
- Check out the Museum of World Treasures on the first Thursday evening of every month for Family Night and $5 admission.
- Visit the Mid America All Indian Center, and be sure to check out their new outdoor exhibits – coming soon.
- Then stroll over to the Keeper of the Plains for a truly Wichitawesome view (and remember to pack a picnic lunch).
- Get exploring at Exploration Place through one of their many discovery programs, including Tot Tuesday or Kansas Kids Preschool Classes.
- Play on a plane or become a Wing Kid at the Kansas Aviation Museum.
For the Tots
- For the really hot weeks, head to an indoor play place, like the one at Towne East, or hit up another favorite place for indoor fun.
- Splash around at Toddler Time at any of the designated YMCAs around town.
- Get the jumpies with special Toddler Time at Aviate/Sports Forum.
- Learn to make a birdhouse or another project at a Home Depot Kids Workshop.
- Namaste with your baby at a Mommy and Me class or Itsy Bitsy Baby class at Sunshine Family Yoga.
- Take the littles to one of Wichita’s fun, interactive story times.
- Try out the new Pay to Play days in the “backyard” at Backyard Specialists.
- Sip on a free cup of coffee while your kiddo creates a craft at Mommy and Me Mondays at Chick-fil-A.
- Learn about roly polys or dragonflies (ages 3-5) at Botanica’s Garden Sprouts.
- Build your child’s library and make it a point to visit all the Little Free Libraries around town.
- Keep the toddler(s) busy with one of these simple busy toddler activities.
- Check out any of our favorite Active Tot Spots.
- Play and get some fresh air at a favorite local park – our favorites are here and here.
- Get moving on one of Wichita’s bike paths.
- Go on a family nature scavenger hunt.
- Explore the salt mines in a safari shuttle at Strataca in Hutchinson.
- Go fishing with littles – here are some local fishing spots to check out.
- Visit the zoo’s much-anticipated new exhibit, Elephants of the Zambezi River Valley. Officially open to the public on May 27.
- Go for a “hike” on one of Wichita’s trails.
- Stargaze and spend the evening watching a meteor shower.
- Attend the Summer Bash at Backyard Specialists on June 2 from 6-7:30.
- Get up close and personal with the wildlife at Tanganyika.
- Attend a concert or summer event at Andover Central Park.
- Learn how to horseback ride at Wichita Riding Academy.
- Become a Naturalist in the Know, held every Saturday from 1-3, at at Great Plains Nature Center.
- Learn how to paddle board once and for all. things to do in Wichita
- Pack a blanket and lawn chairs and head to Chick-fil-A’s Outdoor Movie Night.
- Attend Family Movie Night at New Market Square on the last Saturday of the month, all summer long.
- Check out the kid-friendly classics at The Palace‘s summer movie program.
- Go on a movie date on $5 Wednesdays at The Warren.
- Load up the blankets and folding chairs for a movie marathon at Starlight Drive In.
- Catch a family-friendly classic in a historic theater setting at The Orpheum.
Festival and Concert Goers
- Sport your button and attend this year’s Wichita River Fest from June 3-11th. Have you seen the line up for this year’s concerts and events?
- Take part in a 143 year old festival tradition at Mulvane Old Settlers Days.
- Indulge in the best of the best craft beers at Midwest beer fest.
- Celebrate Independence Day at the 2016 Independence Day Block Party and firework show.
- Plan a special date night with dinner and outdoor concert at Chamber Music at the Barn.
- Splurge on tickets to the breathtaking Symphony in the Flint Hills.
- Grab your lawn chairs and enjoy the monthly KEYN Concert Series at the Wichita Waterwalk.
- Create a stuffed friend and enjoy the horseback riding and paddle boats at Watson Park at this year’s first annual Create-a-Thon on May 14th at OJ Watson Park.
- Enjoy smooth jazz with a beautiful outdoor view at a Bradley Fair Jazz Concert.
- Grab a lawn chair for an evening of music under the stars with the opera Pirates of Penzance at the Bradley Fair pond.
- Attend an Arts AMaize free concert for the Twilight Thursday Concert Series at New Market Square.
- Take in the beautiful botanical scenery at a summer concert at Bartlett Arboretum. things to do in Wichita
- Head to your local YMCA (you can purchase one day passes or use your membership) for pool time – select locations have slides and a lazy river.
- Teach your baby to swim.
- Turn on the hose and run through the sprinkler.
- Splash around in one of our Wichita’s splash parks.
- Check out the newest splash park at Buffalo Park (word on the street is it opens this summer).
- Go down the speed slide or take a raft ride with a friend at Rock River Rapids.
- Make a homemade slip and slide out of plastic tarp.
- Skip weekend takeout and head to ICT Popup Park or find one of the ICT Food Trucks for a tailgate picnic party.
- Put the kids to bed for 30 seconds, then run in and tell them it’s time to get in the car and go get ice cream – we love Churn and Burn (especially their new renovations and patio).
- Pack a picnic and enjoy free wine tastings at Wheat State Wine Co. vineyard in Winfield.
- Have a delightful morning at the Bramble Cafe at Elderslie Farm, complete with a farm fresh breakfast and ride around the farm.
- Pick one of these 200+ date night ideas and plan something fun with your significant other.
- Dine al fresco on one of our favorite Wichita patios.
- Head to Stearman for dinner on the patio, while watching the planes and listening to a live band.
- Spend the morning supporting local farms and artisans at one of Wichita’s Farmer’s Markets.
- Go on a Wichita Food Tour in Historic Old Town.
- Pack a picnic and go berry or peach picking. things to do in Wichita
Supporters of the Arts
- Work alongside your little artist, where everyone gets to create a work of art, in a Mini Masterpiece Class at Monart School of Art.
- Attend this year’s Alice in Wonderland Ballet in the Park with Ballet Wichita, June 9th-12th (Times and Locations TBD).
- On the second Saturday of each month, join City Arts for a free Adult & Me art project.
- Enjoy a “tale as old as time” with Beauty and the Beast at Music Theater Wichita, June 29-July 3.
- Learn to play a new instrument with School of Rock.
- Support the arts and browse the galleries on a Final Friday summer evening.
- Spend a summer day with Wichita Art Museum for Hot Art for Cool Kids (ages 6-12).
Sports and Fitness Lovers
- Take me out to the ballgame with the Wichita Wingnuts for a daily deal, including $1 Mondays or Thirsty
Thursdays ($1 soda a domestic draws).
- Play a round of mini golf, ride the bumper boats or drive the go-carts at All-Star Sports.
- Visit the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame.
- Support the Shockers at a WSU baseball game, including $1 night or Wichita Eagle Family Day.
- Buy a one-time family pass so kids can Bowl Free all summer long.
- Join the Wichita Moms Blog Heart Walk Team, and come walk with us to support heart health.
- Go through the Ninja Obstacle Course or play a round of Extreme Dodgeball at Wichita Sports Forum.
- Stay cool and lace up at the Wichita Ice Center for a public skate day.
- Get your run on at one of the many races this spring and summer.
- Climb the 38 foot wall at Bliss Bouldering and Climbing Complex.
- Host a cookout with friends.
- Build a garden bed and grow a vegetable garden.
- Host a splash party with a water fight.
- Roast marshmallows for s’mores.
- Camp out in your backyard.
- Make summer treats and deliver them to your neighbors.
- Host an outdoor movie party.
- Have a lemonade stand.
- Build a fort in your living room.
- Have a backyard picnic.
- Spend the evening catching fireflies.
And to make things even easier for you to find things to do in Wichita, we’ve made a PRINTABLE Wichita Summer Bucket List for you!